This is me.
Matters Of The Heart?

Note: A friend requested I post this particular experience since she said "it sounded like a scene from the movies."

It was raining. Hard.

I sat on the steps outside the school's laboratory, and watched muddy water swirl by in small streams. The rain pounded on the pavement like a drumbeat as my friends and I waited for our lab classes to start.

We didn't talk much. Rather, I didn't talk much and my friends talked with their respective boyfriends. Not that I minded; I liked having time to think to myself.

Someone padded --- or shall I say, splashed --- by and stopped in front of me. I looked up to see the school janitor struggling with a cart of wet paper. We often said hello to each other in the hallways; he knew my friends and me.

Before I could say anything, he parked the cart in the shade and plonked beside me.

"Whew! I've got to bring those papers across campus, but it's raining so hard," he said.

"I know! Is it okay if they get so wet?" I asked.

"It's fine; they'll just be recycled." The janitor looked up at the dull sky. "I think I'll wait for the rain to lighten up before I move on though."

We made small talk. Eventually, the conversation petered out as we took to watching the rain come down in droves. The janitor glanced at my friends and got a mischievous look on his face.

"So, they all seem to be getting serious now, huh?" I looked over at the couples, and nodded.

"That's good," he commented. "How about you? Have a boyfriend too?"

"No way!" I laughed out loud at the thought. "Well, not yet anyway."

"That's good too," he said. "There's no need to hurry."

"True," I mused. "There's still school to keep everyone busy."

"Seriously, you don't have to go looking for a boyfriend. You're fine without one." The rain was slowing down to a light drizzle.

"I am?" I grinned at the nature of our conversation. I mean, how often do I get to hear advice on my love life from the school janitor?

"Yep." He put out a hand to see if the rain had stopped. "If it's the right time, he'll come. And there's still a lot of time left for that."

"I guess so." I watched the janitor stand up and head for his cart.

"I'll be going now," he announced. "I might get to the next building before it rains hard again."

"I hope so. Hope you don't get too wet!" I saw my teacher coming toward the building from the other direction.

The cart's wheels squeaked as the janitor was in motion again. I waved goodbye, and stood up to go into class. I smiled at my beaming friends; they were content.

And I was content too.

Edit: Heading on a four-day trip tonight. You guys won't be hearing from me until next week. Keep happy!

Daisy on 5/28/2008 03:40:00 PM