This is me.
My Sister Can Punch

Daphy and I were getting into the car last Thursday after attending a church meeting. We often talk --- sometimes seriously, mostly silly --- as I maneuver us home through untamed roads full of people whose driver's licenses should be revoked.

"People worry more about this spot than I do," my sister announced while pointing towards a pink discolored area on her cheek.

"That's pretty understandable considering it's a half-inch in diameter," I answered.

"Seriously, I didn't really care. Is it that big?" My sister looked at it in the mirror while I got the car on the highway.

"Well, it was big enough for the pastor to wonder if someone had punched you."

"Maybe it's a pimple." I turned up the volume of the radio. My favorite song was playing, and I didn't want to miss it.

"Right. You could also have just hit your face somewhere."

"I don't think so." I looked at her in alarm.

"You don't mean someone hit you, did you?"

"No way!" My sister looked horrified. I turned my eyes back on the road as we got caught in traffic.

"Well, if someone does, especially some suitor, drop him," I advised offhandedly. "Especially if it wasn't accidental."

"If it wasn't accidental, I'd break his nose!" my sister added.

"Uh huh, but even if it was accidental. You know, like he was upset and couldn't control his temper."

"I get it. But if it was really accidental, like if he was running past and bumped me against a wall in the hurry, I think I'd just cry." Daphy started rummaging in her bag while I mused about how my little sister could think of crying and breaking some guy's nose at almost the same time.

Good girl.

Daisy on 3/22/2008 10:00:00 AM