This is me.
Sharing Her Joy

Note: Names have been shortened because I know this will embarrass said parties a little. I just wanted to post this because it's been on my mind. And if you know who I'm speaking of, please do not mention it. At all. Thanks.

Friendship's about sharing, isn't it? So you can imagine my reaction when B. took me aside last week.

"G. and I are together now!" she whispered in my ear. My eyes widened and we started to giggle.

"Really? Where? When?" We talked about the details in hushed tones, and I ribbed her about how I seemed the last to know.

Not that I was the last to know, you understand. It was just fun to watch her feel self-conscious; it doesn't happen very often.

"I'm so embarrassed," she announced before we parted. She was embarrassed, all right; she was also really happy.

I was just happy that she was happy, if that makes sense. Her other friends and I have agreed that if G. does something stupid, he'll get quite an earful from us. Of course, we're not saying we run their relationship! We would stick up for B. though if he was really wrong.

Why do I mention this relationship in my blog? I guess it just takes getting used to. You could say it brings back some memories, dear Reader.

And it's all G.'s fault, as B. and I jokingly say. If he hadn't been in "like" with me back then, we wouldn't have all this awkwardness to sift through. B. wouldn't have to worry about whether I'd be OK with her happiness. We wouldn't have to rehash our friendship and see if there would be a strain.

But I think it was great for B. and me. We became a lot closer, and we learned to laugh at our situation. Who wouldn't laugh when we realized I could totally understand her when she talked about meeting G.'s parents?

I am over G. though, if anyone asks. And my gosh, a lot of well-meaning people have asked.

There were things about him that just weren't right for me. But that doesn't mean they aren't right for B.

I'm just glad B.'s in the best place she could be now. And I'm glad our friendship's more than boys and other not-so-important things.

I wish them both well. I just wanted to say I love you, B., and I love all our other friends. And that won't really change.

Daisy on 2/28/2008 11:44:00 AM