This is me.
The People I Didn't Deserve

"I no doubt deserved my enemies, but I don't believe I deserved my friends."
Walt Whitman

Anyone who's been clicking on my links on the column beside this post --- and if you haven't ever clicked them, I forgive you --- have probably noticed this picture in the About Me section.

Who are they? Aliens? Unmentionables? Random strangers I got to make the photo look better?

I just realized I banged out posts for two years without ever talking about them in detail.

Well, I'm finally introducing them two years too late: these are the people willing to take on being friends with someone as complicated as I am. They've weathered my silliness and perpetually running mouth. They make some of our classes bearable, and keep me awake when other classes are beyond bearable. They'll eat with me even if they're not hungry --- I believe I return this favor often --- and have also influenced me to give my studies the right amount of seriousness.

They're the friends I found in college, and the people I'll look forward to seeing in future reunions.

I'm not trying to be sappy, but I've just realized how blessed I am to have friends like them. They listen, they laugh, and they even give little unnecessary gifts just because. We're not perfect, but just seeing them in class is beyond wonderful.

I've been thinking about them lately, and thought this would be a good time to say thank you to them. Thank you for not judging me, and making me a better person at the same time. (Yes, they read this blog from time to time.)

I hope I could be a much better friend to all my pals this year.

Note: The photo's not complete. One or two friends are lacking, but this is the closest I could get to a group photo.

Daisy on 1/12/2008 01:52:00 PM